This is the second part of my Android tweaking guide, first one can be found here. In this article we will talk about more complex solutions and tricks. As mentioned earlier, this is not a step-by-step guide, you are free to use any combination of advices, just be sure to check prerequisites first.
When we talk about Android battery life and its performance, there are plenty of best practices in the Internet. I decided to make my own guide, maybe someone will find it useful. This is not a step-by-step solution, you can use any of the following advices in whatever combination that seems to fit you (for example, you can try to improve stock ROM without flashing a custom one).
So, you are ready to tweak your green robot. Let’s see what you can do:
Not so long ago I have registered at XDA developers forum and started to participate in some community actions like beta testing and bug reporting. Then I found another nifty Android lockscreen notifications app called Notific, which didn’t have a Russian translation. I contacted the developer, Anand Bibek, and volunteered for it. Now, after some polishing, the translation is done and included in version 2.50 of the app.
If you want to try Notific, a free version with some restrictions can be found at XDA: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-notific-lockscreen-notification-t2804624
While you can download and install the free version, I am certainly encouraging you to purchase the full version from Google Play store and support the fellow developer Anand Bibek. Cheers.
P.S.: Image is linked from the Notific Play store page.
Being able to see incoming notifications right on the lockscreen is a really convenient feature. iOS has it out of the box, Android can have it after a little tweaking. I tried to use several application which bring notifications to the lockscreen of my Galaxy S3 and here’s a brief overview of what I’ve discovered.
There is one strange error I have encountered while trying to build an Android application with IntelliJ IDEA. Gradle crashed with a mysterious message:
UNEXPECTED TOP-LEVEL EXCEPTION: com.android.dex.DexException: Multiple dex files define. There are several solutions available for Eclipse and several solutions available for IDEA (this one is my favorite), but none of them worked in my case.
This error started to come up after updating IDEA Gradle plugin from 0.6.+ to 0.7.+ (and corresponding Gradle distribution from 1.8 to 1.9). To verify which plugin version you are using, look at the following line in the build.gradle:
Next thing I found during my investigation to solve this error was the folder named “.gradle” in the project dir. Its content actually clarified much. In this folder Gradle kept task artifacts for building process, both 1.8 and 1.9. Somehow it was causing build conflict. Deleting this folder did the trick, Gradle has recreated it with newer artifacts only and that solved the entire problem.
UPD: Today IDEA suggested to migrate my projects to plugin version 0.9.+ and Gradle version 1.11 due to some breaking changes. No errors this time.